The main ingredient in this recipe is turmeric. Turmeric contains curcumin, the polyphenol identified as its primary active component and which exhibits 600 potential health benefits, which include antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, antiseptic,analgesic,.
- Boosts immunity.
- Helps maintain cholesterol levels.
- Promotes digestive health.
- Liver detoxifier
- Regulates metabolism and weight management.
- High blood pressure.
- Memory and brain function.
- Various skin conditions.
- Neurological disorders.
- Lowers Triglycerides
Adding black pepper to turmeric or turmeric-spiced food enhances curcumin’s bioavailability by 1,000 times, due to black pepper’s hot property called piperine. Yup by mixing turmeric and black pepper together, you increase your body’s absorption of the turmeric by 2 000%!
Golden Milk Recipe
Step 1: Turmeric Paste
¼ Cup of turmeric powder
½ Teaspoon of ground pepper
½ Cup of filtered water
- Mix all ingredients in a small a small sauce pan and mix well.
- Turn the heat to medium high and stir constantly until the mixture is a thick paste. This does not take long so don’t walk away from the pan.
- Let this mixture cool and then keep it in a small jar in the fridge.
Step 2: Golden Milk
1 Cup of almond milk (hemp or coconut are also good options)
1 Teaspoon coconut oil
¼ Teaspoon or more of turmeric paste
Honey to taste
- Combine all the ingredients, except honey in a saucepan.
- Turn the heat to medium.
- While heating make sure to stir constantly and do not allow the mixture to boil.
- When well combined, take off the heat and pour into a mug or cup
- Add honey to taste.
Precautions while using turmeric (always check with your physician before self-medicating)
- Pregnant women are advised not to use turmeric.
- Turmeric being an anti-inflammatory agent can contribute to stomach ulcers.
- Normally turmeric in food is safe. However, since it acts as a blood thinner, those who require surgery must stop taking any form of turmeric – food or supplements a couple of weeks before surgery.
- It may also react with diabetic medication and medication taken to reduce stomach acid.